Today’s business headlines form The New York Times:
- Starbucks, Awaiting Recovery, Says Profit Fell 77%
- Viacom’s Earnings Fall 34%
- Final Effort to Avert Chrysler Bankruptcy Falls Short
- Lower Oil Prices Trim Exxon’s Profit
- Radio Giant Faces Crisis in Cash Flow
- IAC Posts Quarterly Loss as Ad Revenue Drops
- Never Mind What It Costs. Can I Get 70% Off?
For good measure, here’s a look at some of today’s headlines in The Wall Street Journal:
- Time Warner Cable Posts 32% Drop in Net
- Ad Weakness Pressures Viacom Net
- Travel-Industry Weakness Hits Starwood
- P&G Stung as Retailers Clean House
There’s good business news to report too, but it’s more natural for media organizations to scream, “The place is on fire!” Of course, their place is on fire, so the negative focus is understandable.