Frito-Lay grabbed the top spot in USA TODAY’s Super Bowl Ad Meter for the first time. Frito-Lay’s Doritos ad featuring an office worker using a crystal ball to free Doritos was the most popular, according to USA TODAY’s Ad Meter. Volunteers gave the ad a score of 8.46 (on a scale of 0 to 10).
The top five ads are:
1. Frito-Lay Doritos – Crystal ball sees free Doritos – 8.46
2. Anheuser-Busch Budweiser – Clydesdale’s romance with circus horse – 8.42
3. Anheuser-Busch Budweiser – A Clydesdale can fetch – 8.26
4. Bridgestone – Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head take a drive – 7.83
5. Frito-Lay Doritos – Superpowers of Doritos’ crunch – 7.79
USA TODAY created the Super Bowl Ad Meter in 1989 to gauge consumers’ opinions about TV’s most expensive commercials. This year Ad Meter was held in McLean, Va. and Portland, Ore. 288 volunteers charted their second-by-second reactions to national Super Bowl commercials using hand-held meters to register how much they liked or disliked an ad. A computer averaged the scores continuously.